This is the greatest movie of all time is it not ?

This the greatest movie of all time

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
I love movies. I love going to the theatre.

My all time favorite movie is Amadeus.

While there are some historical inaccuracies with reality, the masterful way of using Salieri as the unreliable narrator who has been driven mad by his rivalry with Mozart helps to both explain away any of these issues while making the narrative that much more compelling and concise. The confessions of Salieri's sins are more than just his therapy, but the framework that the movie's story beats hang on.

As someone who has music running through their head 24hrs a day but struggles with ADD and and some of the verbal and music theory tools to effectively communicate these ideas with other musicians, this scene brought tears to my eye and emotionally devastated me the first time I watched it, as the protagonists went from rivals to kindred souls.

While there are some historical inaccuracies

Meh. People who complain about that nonsense embarrass themselves. Shakespeare improved facts through his entire career.

I don’t love Amadeus, but I still enjoy it and find it very rewatchable. And a good example of a filmic adaptation being a hell of a lot better than the original.

Meh. People who complain about that nonsense embarrass themselves. Shakespeare improved facts through his entire career.

I don’t love Amadeus, but I still enjoy it and find it very rewatchable. And a good example of a filmic adaptation being a hell of a lot better than the original.

That said, the film glosses over the fact that Mozart was overrated…

I hear that. The way the world is going....feel sorry for the zoomers and late millenials , etc. it's all doom and gloom these days...no tasty waves and cool buzzez anymore.
The Sherman Oaks Galeria depicted in the movie is gone. It's been replaced by an indoor/outdoor, soulless version. The cool buzz and tasty waves remain.

Since we brought up the Galeria, I once saw Tom Arnold(Rosanne's ex) there on Christmas Eve. I was standing directly behind him in line at Robinson's May. Somebody walked by and said, "hey, there's Tom Arnold". I didn't quite understand what the guy said. Before I knew it, I was making direct eye contact with Tom, probably 2.5 feet away. Neither of us said a word. He was still married to Rosanne, and probably picking her up a last minute gift. The end.

Last edited:
That said, the film glosses over the fact that Mozart was overrated…

Oooh.... I just thought of a fun game... Classical Convergence!

If Mozart was the Beatles of his era...

Bach being foundational and structural... maybe Black Sabbath?

Maybe Beethovan compares to Stevie Wonder because of range of power to beauty with joy of life?

Vivaldi seems more Steely Dan to me...

... and would you make Haydn or Schumann your Eagles? (Flame: :mad: ) :helper:

(while I don't listen to much classical music now, I was actually raised on classical music... and Prokofiev and John Williams were actually my gateway into pop and rock music from childhood into teens.) :baimun:

Last edited:

Maybe Beethovan compares to Stevie Wonder because of range of power to beauty with joy of life?

(while I don't listen to much classical music now, I was actually raised on classical music... and Prokofiev and John Williams were actually my gateway into pop and rock music from childhood into teens.) :baimun:
and Paganini is still Yngwie :facepalm:

The Beatles? Goodness, no. Mozart was The Monkees.

And, on that spectrum, Bach and Beethoven were far above any band recorded. Caruso, Bing, Armstrong, Ellington, Sinatra, Charlie Parker, Sarah Vaughan, Miles, Coltrane, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Stones, Motown, Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder, Sly Stone, Sabbath, Bob Marley, Talking Heads, Prince, Kate Bush — all of them, the whole lot. I love them all, but they simply don’t fit in the puzzle.

Honestly, I find your ‘fun game’ distasteful. Why on earth did you suggest this? Do you often bring up the topic of fungal infections at the dinner table?

The Beatles? Goodness, no. Mozart was The Monkees.

Honestly, I find your ‘fun game’ distasteful. Why on earth did you suggest this? Do you often bring up the topic of fungal infections at the dinner table?

I'm well known for bringing up controversial and often distasteful connections between conflicting ideas. More than one card has needed to be "retired" from our Cards Against Humanity decks because of a distasteful joke that comes to mind any time someone sees the card. :helper:

I've always felt that Mozart music had a wide variety of themes and textures for the masses, while coming off as uncultured rubbish to many peers. Later his motifs were accepted as an important part of the historical musical landscape.... much like the way the Beatles were considered "loud, long haired, hippie pop nonsense" when they came out, only to be considered a landmark part of the popular music landscape.

Oh, for sure. Except for Valley Girl, Moonstruck, Raising Arizona, Bringing Out the Dead, Adaptation, and probably one or two others.
Nicholas Cage is one of the finest actors of his generation. If the only thing he'd ever acted in was Mandy(2018) that would still be good enough to sing his praises. Yeah.

Nicholas Cage is one of the finest actors of his generation. If the only thing he'd ever acted in was Mandy(2018) that would still be good enough to sing his praises. Yeah.

My wife and I watch "Family Man" every Christmas... and I absolutely love what he did in "Renfeld" and "Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent". :baimun:

Haven’t seen it. Haven’t seen Pig, either. He was great in Bad Lieutenant. He was almost certainly in Leaving Las Vegas too, but I haven’t seen in 25 years and it’s one of those good movies that I never want to see ever again.

I’ve doubtless said this a hundred times on this forum, but my take on Cage is that he’s a fucking genius when he’s playing losers, and he’s cringe when he’s playing winners.

My wife and I watch "Family Man" every Christmas... and I absolutely love what he did in "Renfeld" and "Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent". :baimun:

I went to see Family Man in the theatre. Hated it. Haven’t revisited it, and likely never will. Great example of a movie where Cage plays a winner who’s got a good job and a good suit and a beautiful wife… and you want to see someone bludgeon him with something heavy.

20240426_143712.jpg

I watched this based on your suggestion. It's a one of a kind movie to say the least, In a great way. One scene did remind me of Ironman though.

20240427_103046.jpg

Last edited:
No this is the greatest of all time
1714349055726.png

It's got it all, all star cast, action, fighting, Nazis, a heist and comedy. What more could you want...:shrug:

Ok maybe some hot chicks

Back