Dig it! The Perpetual Pedalboard of the Day Thread

My current board:

0e6ac2a25a5e75d7b065d7661194e7fd.jpg

Actually, scratch that. Now that I have a 12 string:

109699695296a90730fe3093ad4e64b9.jpg

I am determined to figure out how to use compression, played with it a little bit here at the apartment and I think I'm getting the hang of it

I am determined to figure out how to use compression, played with it a little bit here at the apartment and I think I'm getting the hang of it
The way it was taught to me is this...

Turn the threshold all the way to the left...adjust the level to unity...raise the threshold until you hear a volume drop, then back off until the volumes match...

That will give you the proper amount of compression without squashing the signal...

I didn't really suggest it. I said that someone on another board suggested it.

I also learned that the Crayon is a BB Preamp clone, and the topology is a Tubescreamer boosting a Marshall Shredmaster.
Good to know about the crayon....I've been interested in the BB preamp lately.

The way it was taught to me is this...

Turn the threshold all the way to the left...adjust the level to unity...raise the threshold until you hear a volume drop, then back off until the volumes match...

That will give you the proper amount of compression without squashing the signal...
That sounds like a great way to learn about compression and dial Ina usable setting.
It's an effect that seems to elude a lot of us. Maybe because it's on the subtle side, and its effect isn't as apparent as many other effects like chorus for example.

Told you! And that doesn't include the pedals I haven't finished yet or the ones that I am not using. I have one more that I did not post. That is in the process of being put together. It is a dedicated Country board.

:spit:
I think if I were in your shoes, I would bite the bullet and get a multi effects processor. That is almost too much to keep up with for me :grin:

Tell me about the Ego compressor

Most compressors are tweaks of the Ross or MXR compressor. Your Malekko and the Wampler are no exceptions. The Wampler will either give you the flexibility you want, or the extra controls will drive you batty.

Last edited:
Tell me about the Ego compressor

What makes the Ego special is the 'Mix' and 'Tone' controls. I have not owned a lot of compressor but of the ones I have owned (or tried), the Ego is just magic. It is not a one trick pony since many use it in country. I don't like a lot of squishiness unless I play funk or R&B hence my Xotic SP for my GP board. For my country sound, I get a nice twang and just enough compression. In my rock application, I use it to get Pink Floyd type clean chords or Neal Schon type solos ie: Who's Crying Now.

As for comps, I currently own 5.

1) 2 - Wampler Ego's - The mix control allows you to blend the dry signal with the compressed signal. What is great about this is that you can blend the attack and still get compression in the middle and tail end of the signal. I use this comp for my country board and a scaled down rock board. Other controls include Sustain, Attack and Volume

2) 1 - Xotic SP - SP is a great over comp allow 3 levels of squishiness. It too has a blend control that is super and makes the comp very user friendly. Attack and Sustain are fixed adjustments via internal DIP Switches.

3) 1 - Jangle Box - I used this comp in my Tom Petty tribute and has a bright switch which is always on. This comp helped me to achieve that Roger McGuinn 12-String chime of the Byrds. This is a Ross based modified with a bright switch to assist in the Byrds chime.

4) 1 - BYOC Comp - A pedal build that is a Ross Clone

Nothing. I think that's the problem :grin:

C'mon Chad, get with the program!!!

I think if I were in your shoes, I would bite the bullet and get a multi effects processor. That is almost too much to keep up with for me :grin:

I forgot to post this one for you Chad!!!!

I use this to record with.

POD LiveXT - S.jpg

Back