Achtung! Fight Me: Uptown Girl Is Billy Joel's Best Song And Actually The Only Good One He Ever Made

I don't tune into anything that might play Billy Joel so I never have to hear his music. It's a blessed life.

the album "The Stranger" is one of his best and the songs are all good.

1712760981891.png

I am neither a fan or hater of Billy Joel, but I don't care for his 50s influenced songs. His song My Life came out as I was separating from wife #2; it resonated with me. Other than that, I would say that Only the Good Die Young is my favorite, followed by Allentown.

Needless to say, I am not a fan of Uptown Girl.

Now Paul is a real estate novelist
Who never had time for a wife
And he’s talkin’ with Davy, who’s still in the navy
And probably will be for life

I like the theory that it's a gay bar and Billy Joel is so straight and square that he is oblivous to all the gay guys around him.:bigg:
I like that one, too...except I'd say it's the narrator who is so straight, because Billy J the song writer is giving the audience a heavy jab in the ribs.

I can enjoy some '80s '50s stuff but wouldn't go as far as writing off everything else Billy Joel ever made. Not even on teh interwebz.

I tell you what, that's some bullshit right there. I'm guessing what happened next was he busted into Uptown Girl.

20240416_190853.jpg

My Mom had some Billy Joel records when I was a kid so they were part of my musical development I guess. I don’t own any of his records but I never change the channel when old BJ comes on the radio.

I like some of his material where the Billy Joel Venn Diagram overlaps with Bruce Springsteen… Murcan coming age tales set in or around Northern Jersey

Stuff like Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, for example. I guess come to think of it, I like The Stranger album but not a whole lot else

I’m completely sick of Piano Man and never really dug the 50s bubble gum pop of Uptown Girl

I also kinda like the concert movie he did in Russia. I remember seeing that as a kid when it was fairly new and just rewatched it last year.

I’m not a huge Billy Joel fan… he’s one of those artists that will make a great album like “Glass Houses”… and turn around and make shit like “We Didn’t Start the Fire” :mad:

While it may not be his most popular song, my personal favorite Joel song is “Vienna”.

Back