Car of the Week: 1928 Ford Model A roadster custom

oc-000000-martin-07.jpg

oc-000000-martin-01.jpg

oc-000000-martin-04.jpg

oc-000000-martin-03.jpg

oc-000000-martin-02.jpg

Back a few years ago, when third-generation garage owner Willie Martin first expressed interest in building himself a roadster, he wasn’t exactly discouraged by friends. What Willie had in mind wouldn’t be just another roadster, but rather a close clone of the 1928 Model A that his father and grandfather raced together in the early 1940s.

As rumor of Willie’s intentions spread through his hometown of Riverside, Calif., friends began dropping off parts. In rolled a salvageable frame, then a pair of headlamps, a windshield frame, a usable steering gearbox and so on. The parts pile grew quite rapidly, but a month or so in, one key component just wasn’t materializing. Willie still needed a body.

Since the original roadster was four-cylinder “B-banger” powered, so is the clone, but that didn’t come without aggravation.

Although he could’ve had a V-8, Willie remained determined to run a B-banger as his father and grandfather had prior to World War II. This time with better parts, Willie went about building his own mill with a Scat crank, H-beam rods, CP pistons, Brierley cam and a Carl Zich-modified oil pump. To top it all off, he ordered up an overhead-valve conversion from Steve Serr’s Miller High-Speed Head Co. The same source supplied a dual-Stromberg-compatible intake manifold, a header and a transmission adapter kit. So, the much-better banger is backed by an S10-type BorgWarner T5 this time around.

oc-000000-martin-06.jpg

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1928-ford-model-a-roadster-custom

In the 70’s I thought of doing a kit car roadster using a Chevy 250 6 cyl. After market 4 barrel carb intakes and 6 into 2 headers were available. Also were polished engine goodies.

My dad was never mechanically inclined, but he had a sense of humor and just enough money for custom paint.
My aunt and uncle having a laugh, 1951...
upload_2024-1-22_17-21-4.jpeg

Back