Acoustic pre-amps

Honkridge

UNACCEPTABLE!
Looking for a pre amp to send the signal to front of house and my FR monitor simultaneously. If it has some bells and whistles that's cool. I've tried the FlyRigs and was unimpressed. Hit me with some suggestions...

I started with the Radial Tonebone PZ pre for several years... but the Tech 21nyc Acoustic Flyrig had effect like tap delay and compression. I agree with Honk that it's probably not the best acoustic pre though.

My new favorite is the NUX Optima Air for under $190.

61w8SpbhI7L._AC_SL1100_.jpg

it has a built in acoustic amp with EQ,... but it also has a variety of IRs that are usable right out of the box, and are customizable, and are footswitchable... but the best feature is that the IR can be BLENDED in with the rest of the acoustic sound. Most of these make a quacky piezo sound very realistic, but there are also some in there designed to make a magnetic pickup sound more like an acoustic guitar. This alone made many of my piezo equipped guitars almost unnecessary.

There's also a pretty decent sounding built in reverb, but there's also an FX loop if you want to add in more of your own FX pedals before the two outputs... a 1/4" if you need to run to an acoustic amp or such, and an XLR on the side to run to the PA. :baimun:

That Nux looks nice! I'll definitely try that out.

I don't want to spend a fortune but I'm not adverse to spending a good amount of cash. I watched a vid of Richard Thompson's rig and DAM it sounded nice. It was also about 1500 bucks or so....

If you're not familiar with Jon... he was John Mayer's guitar instructor.

Basically, the NUX was my answer instead of buying the Fender Acoustisonic... because the big push of the Fender was all of the different Acoustic Profiles that are available, BUT you can't do acoustic and electric at the same time. This allowed me to change up the acoustic sound used on that output of my Taylor, but then I run the magnetic pickup to it's own electric preamp and chain so I can control both sounds separately or layer them live. :baimun:

I used the Fishman Pro EQ for years and it was great. Recently upgraded to the Grace Designs Alix, and it’s significantly greater. But honestly you couldn’t go wrong with either. I found the Fishman’s tuner to be unreliable for the D and G strings, but that may have had to do with the fact that I was using it with Selmer-Macaffieri style guitars.

I had a comparison pop up in my Youtube feed. Right out of the box with everything flat he got a great usable tone from the Optima Air. This may have been one of the things I listened to before I bought mine. Obviously blending the direct and IR tone along with a little EQ makes it sound even better.

Been using a LR Baggs Para DI since last century. There are a lot more options out there now, with more bells and whistles, but I'm not leaving the LR Baggs fold.

Back