Tom tone

Alex W

Pork and Beans connoisseur
Messing around with the tuning and the 12 inch tom is tuned to 110 hz A2. Too low?

I think that's usually in the ballpark of where my 12 inch tends to end up. Quite normal.

Obviously depends on what you play though. a jazz or funk style drummer would prefer it quite a bit higher. But for rock that's perfectly fine. :)

I think that's usually in the ballpark of where my 12 inch tends to end up. Quite normal.

Obviously depends on what you play though. a jazz or funk style drummer would prefer it quite a bit higher. But for rock that's perfectly fine. :)
Yeah definitely not Jazz or Funk. Rock, pop, and hip hop mostly.

I have 2 floor toms as well Alex. Nice set up.

I like my toms in harmonic 4th, so if my 12" tom was as low as yours, the 16" floor tom would be too low for me. Having said that, tuning to harmonics is not necessary, and if you found the sweet spot of the 12", then I would just look for the sweet spot on the other toms, as well. At that point, you'll be just fine.

Now you just have to decide if you want your reso head to be tuned the same as the batter, slightly higher, or slightly lower. Then get each head in tune with itself and you'll be all done. Tuning drums is so simple, right? :wink::grin:

Back