Dig it! My Strymon Iridium Thread.

Last night I played a show in a new venue which has a house sound system and a person to run it, which you would think would be really cool. And it could have been except for a series of unfortunate events that created a perfect shitstorm. But thats for another day or thread. Not really that exciting or germane to this thread.

Because I'm using the Iridium for recording and I don't have the time and money to do a complete rebuild of my live rig, I am still bringing the Iridium and DI box on a satellite board:

IMG_8951.jpg

81845574_10158096140682425_3611312028368502784_n.jpg

82368450_10158096140717425_1382620903967293440_n.jpg

I struggled with my sounds all night. One problem was that I have a bad cable or some buffering issue with the two strymon boxes that I thought I had worked out but I ended up shutting it all off to get through the night. The other was that they are very strict about volume there and our drummer decided to set up in front of the plexiglas cage and run all of the mic's and other PA inputs into our mixer before the sound guy got there (45 minutes late) so we didn't get a sound check but we were admonished about not playing too loud. All of that meant that I struggled with my sound onstage all night. Couldn't really hear myself and the monitors were not helping me since we were using the house monitors and the house sound guy took our mixing iPad to run the house and I didn't feel comfortable messing with the output of the Iridium.

According to everyone I spoke to out in the house, the guitar sounds were just fine if a bit quiet. Frustrating, but the night was out of my hands.

We played the "happy hour set" 4:30-7:30 and the band playing the rest of the night is a country band called Redneck Rodeo. I stayed for one song because both guitar players run Kemper Stage boards and the bassist was also doing something direct. I think they are using Helix in this video:

While the sound in the house was good, there was something missing from the sound...almost like a little "body" that I've been getting from using my amp with the amp sims. As I was leaving I went around the back of the stage and it was eerie hearing only drums and quiet vocals since they all used wireless in-ear monitors. I'm not sure I like that so much. I still haven't gotten everything to run my in-ears on stage (we are doing it wired for the time being and I need one of these:

https://amzn.to/2R5oDfq

I think I dig having the Iridium and my current rig more than I would a Kemper other than having to haul about 100lbs more shit to a gig.

I'm constantly fiddling with the Stomp too. Almost got it where I want it.
Then I'll put an Iridium in the loop and have to start all over.
:grin:

I'm constantly fiddling with the Stomp too. Almost got it where I want it.
Then I'll put an Iridium in the loop and have to start all over.
:grin:
I think I’m going to clean house on the overdrive pedals. I’m really not happy. Let’s see how I wake up tomorrow.

Last night I played a show in a new venue which has a house sound system and a person to run it, which you would think would be really cool. And it could have been except for a series of unfortunate events that created a perfect shitstorm. But thats for another day or thread. Not really that exciting or germane to this thread.

Because I'm using the Iridium for recording and I don't have the time and money to do a complete rebuild of my live rig, I am still bringing the Iridium and DI box on a satellite board:

iu

The goddamn Germans got nothin to do with it!

So I've kept my Iridium and it lives in the rolling gear case with my FM3 as a backup. At rehearsal for the rodeo the night before last the singer broke a string on her acoustic so I set her up with my tele and the Iridium into the PA. Sounded really good. I'm glad I kept it even though it wasn't the right solution for my main rig. Im wondering how useful it would be if it were on a small board with the H9 and a couple of drive pedals.

Although, now that I think about it I should probably just buy a used HX stomp to live in my gear case. I have a two button aux switch that I use with the FM3 that if I needed to use it for a gig would give me a little more versatility and it would allow me to get a few more sounds in a. smaller form factor for the cover gig.

Although, now that I think about it I should probably just buy a used HX stomp to live in my gear case. I have a two button aux switch that I use with the FM3 that if I needed to use it for a gig would give me a little more versatility and it would allow me to get a few more sounds in a. smaller form factor for the cover gig.
I'll sell you mine. I never use it. I think I only gigged it three times. OTT, it's lived in my music room.

I'll sell you mine. I never use it. I think I only gigged it three times. OTT, it's lived in my music room.
I'm in a buying freeze until I get my FM9. Turns out I have several trips to pay for in 2023 that I wasn't planning on, so I'm socking money away for that. Very tempting, though. Its not much bigger than an iridium, right?

I'm in a buying freeze until I get my FM9. Turns out I have several trips to pay for in 2023 that I wasn't planning on, so I'm socking money away for that. Very tempting, though. Its not much bigger than an iridium, right?
Not much bigger, no.
Let me know if things change--I haven't had any other bites on it so far.

I'm using the Iridium at school so much that I'm actually redoing this pedalboard. I have an HX One coming and I'll have to order a new power supply (it's 9v at 500ma and my CIOKS Adam only goes to 250) and maybe the new Walrus tuner. It seems to be super accurate and you can put it sideways set the display to "landscape" as well as a bunch of other features and it also has a strobe function. I might have a few things up for sale in a week or two.

I'm using the Iridium at school so much that I'm actually redoing this pedalboard. I have an HX One coming and I'll have to order a new power supply (it's 9v at 500ma and my CIOKS Adam only goes to 250) and maybe the new Walrus tuner. It seems to be super accurate and you can put it sideways set the display to "landscape" as well as a bunch of other features and it also has a strobe function. I might have a few things up for sale in a week or two.
Just sell it all and get an FM3 :grin:

Just sell it all and get an FM3 :grin:
That would be ideal but selling everything is a hassle (plus most of what I am using seems to have pretty low resale value at the moment) and the idea of leaving an FM3 in the spare tire well of my car all the time (if it would fit) seems not so great. The idea for this was to utilize what I have laying around and while that concept is kinda going by the wayside the Iridium still sounds good and I can bypass the cabs in the Iridium and use this in front of a "real" amp if I needed a quick and dirty non-virtual pedalboard.

I've actually been researching the Iridium since I have kind of ignored it for the last few years and I think I can get quite a bit out of it.

Back