I don't do this very often, but I just "fired" a student.

I hate to do it, but sometimes you've got to. :(

For some reason I get that one confused with the one for your Skype students, so never go in there. I'll try to remedy that from now on. :embarrassed:

I'm thinking that I should just merge some of that stuff.

Huge integrity points, Andy!
We say "people suck" in frustration sometimes, but you prove that to be wrong while tool ex-student and father try hard to prove it to be correct. History has proven that a minority of people advance the unwilling masses in a slow, upward progression.

I think fewer people would feel emboldened if more people would confront them when they say stuff like that. I think too often, we are inhibited from pointing out the incorrect behavior and thus sort of implicitly accept that speech by our lack of action. I know I've been guilty of that before.

very true, bsman.

reminds me of the time that a pal and I stood up to a group of nazi boneheads who were yelling crap at this poor Asian gal.

well, we got our asses kicked...but that didn't stop us from doing it again.
and one day the two of us lucked into catching one of them by himself... :wink:

I think fewer people would feel emboldened if more people would confront them when they say stuff like that. I think too often, we are inhibited from pointing out the incorrect behavior and thus sort of implicitly accept that speech by our lack of action. I know I've been guilty of that before.

I couldn't agree more.

A few times I've called people out for bullshit (harrasing folk on a bus, fighting with the girlfriend etc...) and 9 times out of 10 they're so unused to being challenged they don't know how to react and stfu.

I come down on the kids in school that make judgemental comments (usually homophobic or sectarian) like a tonne of bricks and they shit themselves. Most of them don't think there's anything wrong with saying "awww man that was sooooo gay" and so on. My biggest issue is that it feel like I'm one of the few teachers that do it the way the kids react. Unfortunately it's much easier to use a bit of selective deafness in situations like that and as a result, the kids think running around making mindless bigoted comments is OK because they've never been chastised about it.

For evil to blossom it only takes indifference and so on

Well done Andy you did the right thing.

very true, bsman.

reminds me of the time that a pal and I stood up to a group of nazi boneheads who were yelling crap at this poor Asian gal.

well, we got our asses kicked...but that didn't stop us from doing it again.
and one day the two of us lucked into catching one of them by himself... :wink:
Good job uncle Peeker

Back