College football jam.....

It's crazy how they fell off the face of the earth when Fulmer left. That sick bag Kiffen fucked them over and I don't have much hope for orange pants Dooley.

Fulmer put us on that trajectory.

Kiffen should not to be blamed for leaving for his dream job, but I have problems with: (1) UTK not having a contractual penalty in place for him bailing on us; and (2) our athletic director allowing him to make a mockery of the university by acting like such a jackass while he was here.

Dooley's big problem is he doesn't seem to know dick about defense. Of course, he hired a boob to be our DC, and it's working out catastrophically poorly. I'd like to cut him some slack because he made so many other good hires in the offseason that his average is pretty good, except: (1) he had to make so many hires because nearly his entire staff bailed on him, which has to be his fault; and (2) it was a pretty important hire and he really blew it.

I honestly think Dooley could get this all figured out in a couple more years, but the "fans" are as impatient as I have ever seen any fanbase right now. Dooley may well be back next season, however, because it costs a lot of money to buy him out. If I were running the AD office at UTK, I'd find out immediately if we could afford to hire John Gruden. If so, I'd definitely hire him and send Dooley packing. If not, I'd immediately fire Sal Sunseri as DC, announce that we plan to make a homerun hire at that position, and that we will fully support Dooley by getting him someone who can put together a first-rate defense. I'd look long and hard at Kirby Smart, as it seems the NCAA is getting more interested in Alabama and it might just be a good jumping off point.

But what do I know? :shrug:
 
I think Kellogg's & Post should sponsor a bowl game in Michigan called the Cereal Bowl :tongue:


At this point in the season, I want to see Alabama & Oregon in the title game. I agree with Rev that Alabama is the best team in the country, but I disagree with him about Oregon. I think Oregon has an explosive offense, maybe the best in college ball, but their defense is horrible. Still, with that offense they have a chance of beating any team at any time.
 
It starts with 4 then 8 how about 16, and pretty soon anyone that had a .500 season will be in. The regular season will be irrelevant just like in basketball. There already is a playoff, it's the regular season.

The problem with that model is time. In basketball, they turn around and play two games in two days, then play again four-five days later. I couldn't see football getting bigger than eight teams.


And March Madness is awesome, by the way.
 
The problem with that model is time. In basketball, they turn around and play two games in two days, then play again four-five days later. I couldn't see football getting bigger than eight teams.


And March Madness is awesome, by the way.

That's a great point. I hadn't really thought of that, my biggest fear is that they will do what they did to basketball and make the regular season irrelevant.
 
That's a great point. I hadn't really thought of that, my biggest fear is that they will do what they did to basketball and make the regular season irrelevant.

I don't think the regular season is irrelevant. There's a lot of pride in being your conference's champion.
 
That's a great point. I hadn't really thought of that, my biggest fear is that they will do what they did to basketball and make the regular season irrelevant.

The NCAA tournament doesn't make the regular season irrelevant, the conference championship automatic bid does. Plus the only way to get in without winning your conference championship, is to do well in the regular season.
 
because everything is decided by computers and biased people. like sunvalley said, it should be decided on the field... just like it is in every other sport...

Just because you are a conference champ or undefeated doesn't mean you are a worthwhile contender for the title.
 
why? that's the way it works in the NFL and high school football... why should college be any different?

The NFL is a much more level playing field. Look at what happened to undefeated Cincinnati when they played a one loss Florida team, and the Cinci fans were whining that they should be in the title game. They got crushed, they had no business being in that game. That's what the voters in the polls know that fans don't.
 
The problem with that model is time. In basketball, they turn around and play two games in two days, then play again four-five days later. I couldn't see football getting bigger than eight teams.


And March Madness is awesome, by the way.

I would like to see the 8 team playoff. There will still be teams bitching that they deserved to be in that group that were not, but it would seem to be the best way to get a legit champion - head to head on the field. The BCS model when applied to two teams is just far too narrow. With an eight team playoff the playoffs will only take three weeks with a week between games and only add two additional games to the final two team's schedule.
 
I will stay out of this aspect of the conversation (after this :wink:) because it just gets too frustrating. I still believe the field of play is the way to determine who is best. With some accomadation of some kind to a team in a strong conference, to me playoffs are the way to go, including conference champions as participants. Determining "No. 1" without a playoff season is meaningless to me.

So from the perspective of reality, I will just enjoy seeing who becomes conference champions, and gets to go to bowl games. I am not going to worry about the rest or who is "crowned" number one. College football to me is not about watching the best teams in the country according to the experts. I would rather watch USC vs. OR, or better yet, USC vs. UW, and UW in the Rose Bowl, than Alabama vs. the Gators, or LSU or whatever. I have no connection to those teams.

I understand the viewers that do, and that is just fine. More power to them. Just not why I enjoy college ball.
 
Back
Top