Question: so, why can't you make a guitar body outta ONE piece of wood?

You can. Lots of guitars have been made over the years with one piece bodies. Some reasons why this is less common include the need for a giant ass tree (rare these days), as well as potential for warping and cracking.
 
Last edited:
so, apart from cost, there's really no reason not to?
I'd think that a multi-piece could warp etc just as easily, no?

I ask, cuz I got this big wood...:lol:
well, you know
 
so it's just a matter of manufacturereseses cost then...?

also, could you cover a guitar with the vinyl they use for car seats?
 
Yep, cost. A one piece body does have a slightly higher chance of warping or twisting, but well seasoned wood shouldn't. Also, some woods are more prone to warping than others.
Pine can twist like a mother if you're not careful.

People do make em covered in tolex as well as fabric for like paisleys and stuff.

EG
 
54515ad3.jpg.650x650_q85.jpg
 
Well, I have a one-piece tele body, and the ones i made for my friend and for my nephew were one piece bodies... I want to do a one-piece guitar...
 
1 piece neck trough?

Speaking of fabric.... If pink zebra isn't your thing, there are a million other possibilities.

P1050356.jpg
 
I saw a homemade slide guitar once that was made out a piece of hardwood burl. The guy who made it is a carpenter by trade, and he got a big slab of maple for a custom tabletop & bar job. He told me the homeowner wanted his bar & table to look the same and it was more or less the only option given the size involved. IIRC, he said the lumber cost 1500 bucks alone for a 3'' thick slab, and another 200 for them to saw it down to around 1.5''. After the project was done, he asked his client if he could keep the scraps. No big deal at all for the client. He was real happy with the work.

I wish I had pictures of the guitar, 'cause it looked wild. The whole thing looked like a Steinberger with a single humbucker pup and a Floyd trem. The fretboard looked like it was flat as a pancake and made from a strip of mahogany.
 
My Orange Satin PRS had a One-Piece body and a One-Piece neck.


I have a piece of black limba that will someday become a one piece body as well.
 
Back
Top