AN OPEN LETTER FROM CRAIG JOHNSON, HARMONY CENTRAL CEO

They should have just kept Zombie 1.0 up. They already had an out for this catastrophe, and they got rid of it. Evidently for the sole purpose of implementing it again later. :grin:
 
I'm confused

If you want to REALLY be confused, go to the HC feedback forum and watch all the guys who ranted and raved about bringing back 1.0 complaining about the plan to roll back to 1.0. :messedup:
 
http://www.harmonycentral.com/thread/1530766?tstart=0

Short form: Most of the site will roll back to 1.0 indefinitely. Only when it's clear a 2.0 element is truly ready for prime time (and the community will be participating in that decision) will that 2.0 element take over from the 1.0 equivalent.

As you all know, I'm not an IT guy so I don't know how they'll do this. I'm assuming it's a situation where the 1.0 site exists in parallel, and 2.0 serves as a "shell." So if you click on "Products and Reviews" in 2.0, it takes you to the 1.0 site. Ditto forums, Resource Center, Media Center, etc.

I'm just glad I don't have to do the coding I expect it will take them a while to pull this off, but as "the messenger" I'll do everything I can to keep you in the loop.

Personally, I think this is the best decision under the circumstances.This way those who wanted a rollback will primarily experience 1.0, while those who were just starting to get into 2.0 can not only use it, but take a major role in determining how it's going to end up. We also now have a "safety net" if either version does an Epic Technical Fail.

I will tell you this: The people in HC Management are heartbroken over this situation. Their intentions were nothing but honorable, and the last week has been hell for them as well as the mods.

Bottom line: HC 1.0 is back, and HC 2.0 will essentially "go into the shop."


the forum users win :clap:
 
If they'll go back to the way it was, this time for good, I'm there. The way the forum is today, I just can't dig it.

I'm glad the people in charge realize that it was a bad move and are willing to change. Some of the things this Johnson feller wrote kinda irks me, though, but I'll keep an open mind.
 
I wonder why the CEO made no mention of an apology to the HC users who asked constantly for months leading up to this mess, not to go down a road they knew was messed up? Why can't the brass at HC just admit, they didn't give a frig what the users thought, because all they wanted to do was maximize their advertising revenue. I have no problem with a business trying to make money, but when they try to jam crap down their customers' throats and tell them they will like it, I have no respect for that business.
 
I'm not terribly bothered by whatever happens at HC except that I hope once it is restored we dont lose all of our new members.
 
At this point, I don't even care what they do to the forums there. I just want to see them fix the user reviews which were a resource to the entire online musician's community.
 
Not to piss in anybody's cornflakes, but methinks what has finally caused this sudden change of "heart", is bottom line issues, not for any "noble" purposes. With a loss of up to 85% of active members, loss of most of their google links, all the bad press, and hard feelings known in the industry now, HC is scrambling in panic mode. The seo indexes and rep they had, took years to build. Now gone in a moment of bad judgement.

Essentially, they have shot themselves in both feet, and I don't think they'll ever quite recover the market share they previously enjoyed.
It's good pickings out in the web right now, for other forums/guitar related websites, to grab some of these dropped gems.
 
:facepalm: He didn't use the right cover sheet. Didn't he get the memo?

20071126-tps_report2.jpg
 
I have zero respect for Mark, I think he's a terrible human being and his forum reeks, but he's right about vBulletin 4.0 not being able to handle HC.

(Too much? :embarrassed:)

Some pretty high traffic sites use vBulletin. The 8th (Off Topic), 10th (Something Awful) and 14th (PBNation) highest traffic forums on the net all use vBulletin. NONE of the high traffic sites use Jive.
 
Back
Top