Your Ultimate MINI-Pedal fly-rig???

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
Mini Pedals have gotten better and better.... so many of us use power supplies instead of 9volt batteries anyways, it's nice to get some of that space back on your pedalboard, and even more important if you were making a tiny flyrig board.

So... What are the TOP FIVE pedals that you would build a fly rig with?

You have to start with the tuner... and there are some great choices from Peterson, Polytune, and many others, but I love the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner... so I would start with the ST-300.
st3mini_Top5_249h.jpg

If you're into that vintage VanHalen brown sound, then a Phase or Flange is a super essential sound, the MXR Mini 95 has both the Block/Script switch as well as a Phase 90/45 option!
MiniPhase95-xlarge.jpg

Had the option of flipping the Wampler Germanium Tumnus when I got my hands on the limited run and they were going for over $600 on Reverb, but dammit if it didn't sound absolutely freaking amazing when I got it, so it's on my gigging board now. Having a Micro-Klon on a flyrig is like adding an extra channel to a clean sound and a great overdrive for a dirty tone.
images

Even though this is where most people would put a delay, chorus, or some other effect they can't live without.... I'm usually pretty good with just a little plate reverb or some slapback delay, so I would find the TC Spark Mini more useful in this spot. My favorite feature is the DUAL-action pedal... you can engage it on and off normally, but since it's a soft-touch button, if you hold it down while you're playing a solo or boosted part of a song it will be active but then release when you lift. Great for tasty little solos without having to look back down a second time.
images

And lastly... the ToneX One. Though I've not played through one personally, having several amp sounds with reverb available in a mini pedal as well as being able to set up two different amp sounds to switch back and forth between is the definition of what you need in a great flyrig. You can plug into whatever backline amp is available, or worst case scenario, direct, and get the job done you came to do. Melt some faces! :baimun:
mprjmzg6jjiyygyjg2bn.jpg

I might change my mind on a few of these if some really compelling options are posted later... but what do you see as some of the best Mini pedals out there? I know an honorable mention probably has to go to something like the Hall of Fame reverb.

My 5 are:

Polytune>Noble ODR>Tumnus>Xotic SL

The last one depends on what type of music I am playing

If Chorus, Mooer Ensemble King
If Delay, Flashback Mini

*Note: The Xotic SL has replaced the Pinnacle

Board with Pinnacle.jpg

Last edited:
ToneX One

-Amp profiles
-Dirt pedal profiles
-Tuner
-Noise Gate
-Compressor
-Reverb
-A/B select 2 profiles via foot switch
-Customizable colored lights for presets
-Free software Mac/Windows/iOS/etc

I’ve been using it two days. It feels and sounds great. Very close to a real amp when used with DI amp captures into real guitar cabs.

The software is not very intuitive but I’ve figured out most of it myself. And there are tons of videos on the One and the larger Tonex pedal as well as software.

None of the software will edit presets on the pedal at this point. That would have made things more straightforward IMO. You either have to adjust everything on the pedal or use the ToneX app on a computer/smart phone/tablet to edit and audition presets and then transfer those presets to the pedal. I guess that’s what happens when your concept starts out as a plugin and physical pedals are an afterthought.

I’ve learned about the concept of Tone Model (raw capture) vs Presets that may have changes such as input level, eq, compressor, noise gate, reverb, output level.

The pedal auto saves any changes you make to a preset. I’m not sure how I’m going to like that but it does simplify operation. It’s going to take some time to get used to all the functions on the One by itself. The larger ToneX is much more straightforward.

IMG_8720.jpeg

Back