pedal goop

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
DSCF1724_zps3e7d9ffa.jpg

DSCF1727_zps26ed3f5c.jpg

lol.

I don't get the gooping though. Couldn't you just unsolder each component and test it with your meter?

X-ray might work unless it is a multi-layered PCB. :ack:

Agreed!

Tend to doubt it will be multilayered though.

Looking at that pic, it doesn't seem to be that difficult to reverse engineer - just time.

From what I see is a 8 pin IC, 9 pin switch, Pot connections, LED and Switches. I believe the circuit to be a basic overdrive with the diode choice being switchable.

I cannot blame folks for trying to ensure that the designs they've painstakingly developed don't end up in a cheap Biyang or Behringter knockoff.

I cannot blame folks for trying to ensure that the designs they've painstakingly developed don't end up in a cheap Biyang or Behringter knockoff.

First, I think MI Audio is just having some fun with this. Second, if anything, gooping just makes recreating the circuit even more enticing. Third, you can't patent a circuit anyway, so the cloners will get your design no matter what.

Lots of manufacturers have similar uses of humor in their products.

I think it's fun.

I remember reading the manual for an Emulator II back in the day that was a very dry read right up to the point it advised the end user not to perform a certain set of button presses or it would result in a cataclysmic tear in the space/time continuum.

Didn't the pedal that Steve albino use have goop from the original maker as well?
I guess they're worried about some dodgy people wanting to rip off their pedal?

Back