Dig it! NGD: Squier VM Telecaster Thinline (pic heavy)

wagdog

Ack
Got the sunburst thinline tele I ordered last week. I have to say that it's pretty darn flawless finish wise. Changed out the angel hair .009 strings for a set of d'addario .010 - .046 and polished the frets. 3 of the bridge screws were spinning freely, so I toothpicked them - bridge is nice and tight.

The neck on this ax feels very, very close in size to my baja tele. Fretwork is clean and impeccable. The nut was a little tight so I filed the slots to size. The nut feels pretty cheap and will get replaced with a spare graphtec I've had on my bench for a year or so. The pickup switch feels cheap and will be replaced. The pots are smooth and the vol taper isn't bad. Tone control works as expected - these may get replaced when I do the switch.

Very resonant unplugged. Light and comfortable to play. Plugged in it sounds very solid - I had to dial in my amp for humbuckers as I usually play single-coil guitars. Pickups sound good, no need to replace. Very pleased with the guitar. Glad I didn't wait for a natural finish - this one looks great. Once again, a cheap squier did not disappoint.

thinline_03_zpsbmrrl62t.jpg

Nice! HNGD!

I think you'll really enjoy playing the Thinline. BTW, are those the same wide range humbuckers they have in my Classic Player? I wondered because they have they have the same look to them.

Holy crap that's some beautiful wood matching on the top and back. I think you made the right choice as well. All the years I wanted the MIJ version and even the MIM versions, the matching on the natural finishes has been less than stellar in most cases.

I've also always thought the '72 Thinline is an excellent candidate for a 24 3/4" conversion neck. Even more so if they ever made one in mahogany.

Damn that looks great! If the CNC work and components are as good on those as was on my VM 69' thinline, you got a hell of a guitar for not much $.

Nice! HNGD!

I think you'll really enjoy playing the Thinline. BTW, are those the same wide range humbuckers they have in my Classic Player? I wondered because they have they have the same look to them.

I don't know if they're the same. I've seen posts in other forums that indicate they are the same WRH's that are in the Mexican made fenders. They sound great, that's for sure.

Holy crap that's some beautiful wood matching on the top and back.

Yeah, it looks even better in person. I'm really glad I got the sunburst now, very sharp looking. The front/back wood is very nice looking. What's really surprising is how nice the neck is on this guitar; the carve is great and finish even better.

If it is the same, I know you'll love it wagdog. I think of the WRH as a cross between a single coil and humbucker sound. It's the best I can do to adequately describe it, but it is really a cool sound. A few amps that I have that don't play well with humbuckers, actually sound great with the WRH's.

I don't know if they're the same. I've seen posts in other forums that indicate they are the same WRH's that are in the Mexican made fenders. They sound great, that's for sure.

Yeah, it looks even better in person. I'm really glad I got the sunburst now, very sharp looking. The front/back wood is very nice looking. What's really surprising is how nice the neck is on this guitar; the carve is great and finish even better.

I'm shocked how good many cheap guitars have become.
They have had 70 years to figure it out, though, so I guess I shouldn't be.

I'm shocked how good many cheap guitars have become.
They have had 70 years to figure it out, though, so I guess I shouldn't be.
Squier has really stepped it up as of the past few years. Even their bullet tele/strat are playable. They are decent beginner/learning guitars.

I would gig with this guitar without hesitation... in fact I'm sure I will. Was planning on using as a backup, but I'm sure I'll play it more than that.

Back