MXR Micro Flanger started whistling...

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
So I got an MXR Micro Flange a few months ago and I really like it. But...

At an outdoor gig last night it started making a very high pitched modulating whistling sound. At first I thought it was a bird! Then shut off my amp and it stopped. Had to troubleshoot before the gig (not stressful at all) and thought it must be the flanger since it was doing a modulated sound. Took it out of the loop and all good.

So anybody ever had this experience with a flanger? I'll open it up tomorrow and take a look, not sure what it could be. It's powered with an adapter, maybe try a battery...

I'm kinda bummed, I haven't had it that long

I had a similar thing with a Joyo delay. Kinda surprised an MXR pedal would do that. They’re usually built like tanks. What type of power supply was it? I’d also probably try it with a battery and see how it does.

Last edited:
OK, tried it out with a different power supply and a battery. Works fine. :shrug:

It could be the PS on my board, it's a cheaper Donner one that's been solid for years. Will try that out tomorrow with the amp (same rig as the gig)

The power supply that my Joyo died on was a one spot. It killed a couple nice pedals too. Its the reason I won’t skimp on power supplies anymore. Just not worth it especially if you have a decent sized board with expensive pedals on it.

Just fired everything up.... it's fine. Weird. At the gig I'm wondering if the power connector wasn't quite all the way in... but I put it back on my board (have a battery in it as well) and it's all good. :cool::shrug:

Just fired everything up.... it's fine. Weird. At the gig I'm wondering if the power connector wasn't quite all the way in... but I put it back on my board (have a battery in it as well) and it's all good. :cool::shrug:

Are you using a One Spot? It is possible that you main power source on that day dropped in voltage out which may cause trouble for PS'es.

I know everybody loves those Donner/Joyo/Nux stuff, but it's dollar store junk.
You do know every pedal maker buys one or more components from Behringer right? The snobby shit got old long ago but now at least it’s out that no matter what you pay just know something inside came from the dollar store at 100 times the mark up. Have a nice day.

You do know every pedal maker buys one or more components from Behringer right? The snobby shit got old long ago but now at least it’s out that no matter what you pay just know something inside came from the dollar store at 100 times the mark up. Have a nice day.

Ok, dude, whatever twirls your beanie. It's fine for your living room, I guess. But, you get what you pay for:

"Awww, this $5 Mooer is GREAT!" >>> "Aww, my $5 Mooer fried my pedals before it stopped working!"

Ok, dude, whatever twirls your beanie. It's fine for your living room, I guess. But, you get what you pay for:

"Awww, this $5 Mooer is GREAT!" >>> "Aww, my $5 Mooer fried my pedals before it stopped working!"

I don't get it when I see a board that has like 10 pedals that all go for $200 each and then they have some $20 power supply. I know power supplies aren't a sexy purchase, but it's not something I want to skimp on.

Last edited:
I don't get it when I see a board that has like 10 pedals that all go for $200 each and then they have some $20 power supply. I know power supplies aren't a sexy purchase, but it's not something I want to skimp on.

Yup, finally learned my lesson. Just pulled the trigger on a Voodoo Labs PS. Last night my MXR Phase 90 was doing weird things. I'm getting tired of the flaky stuff going on so I decided to get a decent PS.

100%.

Even if you're using cheap pedals you should spring for a decent power supply.

Back