Leaning Curve Time.....

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
As I prepare for a trip to Seattle, I wanted to remain compact and after following @Mark Wein threads, broke down and bought the Tone X One. Gonna use it on a small board as my main amp driver. Still need to learn how to use this beast and have a week to figure it out. One thing I do love are small pedals.

IMG_4907.jpg
IMG_4915.jpg

Have fun.
Yup!!!

Tried to get the bloody interface up and running last night. Didn't have a lot of time so partial failure. Why partial? I was able to get into the setup menus and do a few mods. Really trying to get into the interface with my Mac so can change the A/B Settings. Once I do that, it will be gold until the HX One comes in.....sigh.

The computer software sucks because you can’t use the computer to edit patches live on the pedal while you’re playing them. You can edit and audition patches in the software, but in my experience, they don’t sound the same through my audio interface as they do loaded in the pedal. So, I get a reasonable sounding amp patch in software, load it into the pedal and edit the patch in the pedal.

It’s a clumsy way to have to work it. Ultimately, it sounds great to me with amp patches through real guitar cabs with the cab sims disabled in the pedal. That’s the way I prefer to use it because I have plenty of real cabs and FRFR just isn’t my thing. I’m not really interested in the dirt pedal modeling part of it.

This may help. Good luck….

IMG_9805.jpeg

Last edited:
Holy crap - that's a lot going on in a tiny pedal! Can it also compute the burn time for the lunar module landing?

I'm so basic - I've got the old, original model Tech 21 Fly Rig RK and have used it by its lonesome on more than one occasion. I am not a tonal sophisticate... :(

The computer software sucks because you can’t use the computer to edit patches live on the pedal while you’re playing them. You can edit and audition patches in the software, but in my experience, they don’t sound the same through my audio interface as they do loaded in the pedal. So, I get a reasonable sounding amp patch in software, load it into the pedal and edit the patch in the pedal.

It’s a clumsy way to have to work it. Ultimately, it sounds great to me with amp patches through real guitar cabs with the cab sims disabled in the pedal. That’s the way I prefer to use it because I have plenty of real cabs and FRFR just isn’t my thing. I’m not really interested in the dirt pedal modeling part of it.

This may help. Good luck….

Thanks @jrockbridge

After clearing some space on my Mac I was finally able to load the ToneX SE software and discovered the interface. Also discovered that modding the patches need to be done on the pedal but my first task was to change the default patches. I fell in love with the Maz 18 for my clean channel as it responded to rolling off the volume knob versus the BF Super Reverb. Still messing with finding a good crunch/lead sound and am leaning towards the default JCM800 2203.

Something weird happened as I had a volume drop midway through messing around. Sadly I put it all away as I needed sleep for an early morning. Now that I know how to access the SE Software, I will first do a default on the pedal and start all over. Then will connect to my Mac and make the patch changes. As of this writing, I am wondering if the low battery from my Mac caused the drop in volume. I will find out this afternoon when I get home from the office.

Holy crap - that's a lot going on in a tiny pedal! Can it also compute the burn time for the lunar module landing?

I'm so basic - I've got the old, original model Tech 21 Fly Rig RK and have used it by its lonesome on more than one occasion. I am not a tonal sophisticate... :(

Yes a lot. My first introduction to modeling was with the LivePOD XT some years back and it takes a lot of putzing to get things right. Personally I don't make leaps and bounds into new tech unless I have a purpose. What got me on the ToneX One is the footprint. Since I have gone to smaller size pedals, this fit perfect for travel.

Just keep in mind that on the pedal, when you change any setting, it automatically saves it. That keeps it simple but also there is no discarding a change and going back to before. Every change is permanent until you make another change.

Happy ToneX One days!

P.S. The patches you have save in the software portion can be your par value patches. So, if you mess up a patch on the pedal and cannot get it back to the sweet spot, you can always reload the patch into the pedal from the computer software patch that you started from.

Apparently, the company is working on updating the computer software to allow for editing patches live on the pedal. But, I don’t know when they expect that update to be completed. It seems to be the most requested thing for users of ToneX and ToneX One.

The current workflow is clunky but when you consider the sound quality and compare the price to other options that do a similar type of capture play, I’ll deal with it.

P.S. The patches you have save in the software portion can be your par value patches. So, if you mess up a patch on the pedal and cannot get it back to the sweet spot, you can always reload the patch into the pedal from the computer software patch that you started from.

Apparently, the company is working on updating the computer software to allow for editing patches live on the pedal. But, I don’t know when they expect that update to be completed. It seems to be the most requested thing for users of ToneX and ToneX One.

The current workflow is clunky but when you consider the sound quality and compare the price to other options that do a similar type of capture play, I’ll deal with it.
I really didn't mind with the stock 20 to choose from. My editing was just changing what was in the default mode to my selections and the input pad. Half the battle was loading the SE, putzing with what it can do and can't wait to try it with either Garage Band on my Logic Pro. For now, just trying to get the mini pedal ready for travel.

Back