I have a couple of small projects coming up...

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
A little reconfiguring of my pedalboards - the ToneX board will get the HX stomp for it's effects and the HX one is going on a board with a TOneX One pedalboard and the battery power for a mini fly-rig sort of thing. I have the power cables coming for the HX Stomp to go on the ToneX board today and the mini rig will have to wait a couple of weeks but I'm not in a hurry right now.

I don’t know if you have your Tonex One yet but I came across some information on another website that could be helpful to you and others. I’ve had my ToneX One for a few weeks. It’s a powerful pedal with multiple functions. Operating the pedal can be a bit complex.

I watched one video and used an early Cheat Sheet that was posted at TGP. That was all I needed to learn the operation. Since, then another person posted a couple of more polished Cheat Sheets. You only need one of the Cheat Sheets but you can choose the one that works best for you. I’ll just dump all of them here.

IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0021.jpg

Last edited:
I've realized that I don't like my Headrush MX5, anyone in Europe that wants it can get a good deal from me, in it's box. I plugged in my Joyo American Tone and loved getting the one amp tone I need by just twisting a knob or two. So my new mission is to find a box or so in order to hide a couple of pedals for the living room.

I've realized that I don't like my Headrush MX5, anyone in Europe that wants it can get a good deal from me, in it's box. I plugged in my Joyo American Tone and loved getting the one amp tone I need by just twisting a knob or two. So my new mission is to find a box or so in order to hide a couple of pedals for the living room.
I’ve got a Joyo British Sound and AC Tone. The AC T is one of my favorite dirt pedals in front of an amp. Obviously, they can be used direct as well if needed.

I’ve got a Joyo British Sound and AC Tone. The AC T is one of my favorite dirt pedals in front of an amp. Obviously, they can be used direct as well if needed.
I use mine in front of my Custom 12 Gauge Frankenstein combo thing with echo and delay afterwards. That amp has tons of clean SS headroom so it's basically a powered speaker with a Jensen in it. Sounds fantastic.

IMG_9859.jpeg

Here is where I’m at. For some reason I couldn’t make the effects loop in the HX stomp work the way I wanted so I punted for the time being and I have everything in front of the ToneX.

I don’t know if you have your Tonex One yet but I came across some information on another website that could be helpful to you and others. I’ve had my ToneX One for a few weeks. It’s a powerful pedal with multiple functions. Operating the pedal can be a bit complex.

I watched one video and used an early Cheat Sheet that was posted at TGP. That was all I needed to learn the operation. Since, then another person posted a couple of more polished Cheat Sheets. You only need one of the Cheat Sheets but you can choose the one that works best for you. I’ll just dump all of them here.

View attachment 93753View attachment 93754View attachment 93755

Thanks ! - I probably won't have mine until after Fathers Day but these are great.

ok - I said fuck it last night and ordered a ToneX One. Probably be here this weekend since Sweetwater now has a warehouse in Arizona to ship from.

I'm thinking that it will be ToneX One, HX One, the Cavas DI/LI and maybe The Dude pedal. With Reverbs baked into the ToneX models and delay or modulation from the HX One I should have a small but powerful direct rig that will fit into a small case and I'll probably have it run from the battery rig I'm not using anymore.

My only issue with the ToneX One is that it does not seem to have Line Level output as an option. Or, maybe it does and I have not found it yet.

My amp is a 50 watt Fryette Power Station. It works well with modelers in general but it was not designed for it. So, the best way to wire it for best sound and EQ balance, according to the Fryette rep, is in self attenuation mode which works with Line Level devices. The Tonex One sounds fine with Instrument Level output but is much quieter than my HX Stomp because the HX has the ability to set output for Line Level. I have not tried using the FX Return of the Fryette with the Tonex because it hyped the highs and lows from my HX Stomp wired that way. But, perhaps Tonex One > FX Return Fryette > Speaker will work better. It will certainly be louder.

My only issue with the ToneX One is that it does not seem to have Line Level output as an option. Or, maybe it does and I have not found it yet.

My amp is a 50 watt Fryette Power Station. It works well with modelers in general but it was not designed for it. So, the best way to wire it for best sound and EQ balance, according to the Fryette rep, is in self attenuation mode which works with Line Level devices. The Tonex One sounds fine with Instrument Level output but is much quieter than my HX Stomp because the HX has the ability to set output for Line Level. I have not tried using the FX Return of the Fryette with the Tonex because it hyped the highs and lows from my HX Stomp wired that way. But, perhaps Tonex One > FX Return Fryette > Speaker will work better. It will certainly be louder.
I'm using the Walrus Canvas DI/Line Isolator direct into a wedge or the PA. The "line isolator" mode requires less preamp gain which is nice.

Ok. I’ve got it all working now. I was kind of hoping to make it smaller but if I want it battery powered and have these pedals this is were it’s going to have to be size-wise.

IMG_9923.jpeg

I take back what I've said here, just plugged my Headrush back in today. Although I loved having knobs to instantly change my amp settings I've realized that I spend actually more time after switching guitars chasing the tone I want, and having a learning curve every guitar than I do actually having a tone and playing.

One thing I did do different was remove the speaker sim from my patch. I have a Jensen in my box so it was redundant. Improved the sound. Maybe I'll use it to tighten up on high gain settings later, but I doubt it.

Another Jaon Sadites video below regarding Tonex and HX Stomp. He explains in the beginning that he uses a separate Send and Return block in the HX Stomp rather than one FX Loop block. The reason is that the levels need to be set different on each block for best results. Now, I know how to hook my Tonex One into my HX Stomp and set the levels proper.

(Edit) Apparently, the way to do this is set two blocks, one L Send Instrument and two R Return Line, in global settings. I’ll give this a try tomorrow. Then, I’ll crank it up loud and switch the R Return between Instrument and Line to see how much difference this makes.

(Edit) I tried this at low voiume. I switched between Return Instrument and Return Line. I could not hear any difference. I’ll have to give that a try again tomorrow at loud volume to see what I can her and report back.

(Edit) I just realized that Jason’s video is regarding ToneX not ToneX One. Mark, this may be the answer to why you had to bail on using your full size ToneX pedal in the loop of the HX Stomp. The full size ToneX has instrument level input and line level output. So, you have to build two blocks into HX Stomp. First block L Send - Instrument. Second block R Return - Line. However, the ToneX One may have Instrument level output. If so that Return would be set to instrument which can be accomplished with a single fx block.

I was playing around with this a little bit with the ToneX One and the HX One (I should just call that my "The One Board") and the line level out of the HX One did sound better. I'll have to revisit the other rig with the settings you mentioned.

@Mark Wein - Does the ToneX do what you want it to? Sorry as I don't know.

Is the A/B for Clean and Dirt? I have seen vids but rather get it from you who I know.

Are you using this with the All-Star Trio occasionally?

Turns out both the full size Tonex and the mini One are both Instrument Level Output. From IK Multimedia….

Big Tonex pedal has instrument level output with lots of headroom.

If it’s in bypass state and Main Out option in global menu is set to 0 dB, what comes in goes out just like a Boss or any other buffered stompbox when bypassed. The maximum output is +8 dB when set that way. Raising the Main Out to +3 dB brings it close to a max of +12 dBu.

In that case, I think using one fx loop block in HX Stomp set to instrument level is the way to go for both Tonex pedals. Seems like there is no reason to waste an extra fx block doing what Jason Sadites had suggested.

@Mark Wein - Does the ToneX do what you want it to? Sorry as I don't know.

Is the A/B for Clean and Dirt? I have seen vids but rather get it from you who I know.

Are you using this with the All-Star Trio occasionally?
I dig the ToneX quite a bit. I've used the big pedal with All Star Trio, Papa J and Richard doing the "back porch blues" thing, the steel drum band and for a production in a 500 seat theater in school. The hardest part is finding amp captures that work the way you want them to without too much tweaking and having your own quality direct box. Things that sound awesome in the videos never sound that way in your environment because you are using your own speakers in al I've environment so I use my EV PXM 12 monitor wedge and it sounds great through that, you are doing pretty good.

My main rig is still the fractal but I have so many different types of gigs that it is nice to have options and backups.

The smaller ToneX one can either be two amp captures however you want them or stomp boxes. RIght now I have one side as a clean Deluxe Reverb and the other side with the same amp but cranked up and I have a TC spark for boosts. These are all great tools but there is a learning curve.

The mini ToneX One can actually toggle between 3 amp captures if you want. You just have to push both Alt button and Footswitch at the same time to put it in Browse Mode. Then, the footswitch will toggle between the captures that are assigned to A, B and Stomp. You just simply assign Stomp to an amp capture instead of a stomp box capture. I actually loaded high gain amp captures in place of the factory stomp box models.

To keep my 20 presets organized, I have the first 7 as various clean captures, the next 7 are mild or medium crunch amp captures and the last 6 slots are loaded with high gain amps.

Last edited:
Back