falling down the overdrive rabbit hole/out the other side

Pine Apple Slim

Kick Henry Jackassowski
After 10 years of chasing drive tones Ive come to some conclusions. First off, the context. I play PAF style humbuckers or Filtertons. Mostly an SG Standard but also White Falcon for cleaner low gain vintagey vibes. My amp is a Carr Rambler, a single channel 1-12 combo, 30w pentode/12w triode Deluxe/Bassman kinda thing, with a beautiful spring reverb and tremolo. I usually play it clean, in pentode mode with plenty of headroom.

OK s0 what are my favorites? It kinda depends on the genre.
1. Classic rock crunch/jangly rock/cutting leads--DOD250 & DOD Looking Glass.
Nice distortion, great string to string definition, very touch sensitive. But so I dont have to be so careful and back off so much for cleans I like the Looking Glass as "always on" drive for my clean tones. Same kind of sound as the 250 but has less gain, then kick on the 250 for heavier crunch and solos. These two pedal pair very well with the SG Standard. This pairing is great for stuff like AC/DC, Tom Petty, Garcia/Dead stuff, REM jangly things, or even punk. Anytime you need touch sensitive distortion, good string to string definition and cutting leads..
2. Blues/Blues Rock/Country/R&B- Nobles ODR-1 & BD-2 Boss Blues Driver. This is a "warmer" combo, where I want more compression and a less biting and cutting sound. I've been thru tons of stuff, including several boutique options but really these two common pedals seem to work better than anything else. The BD-2 at very low gain is my always on, and I set the tone control depending on the guitar. The filtertrons being a bit brighter need a hair more bass on the tone knob on both pedals. the Nobles is just a fantastic smooth and creamy overdrive.

So I've climbed out of the OD/Distortion rabbit hole. Got a few pedals I need to sell:
Browne Protein-based on the Nobels and Marshall Blues Breaker-super nice pedal I just like the Nobels/BD2 combo better.
Karma MT-10(TS-10 clone) nice low gain problem solver, has a mid control. Pairs very well with the Protein.
(Got a Strat? Buy these 2 pedals and get your Mayer on).
EQD Plumes-a TS clone with clipping options
EQD Special Cranker-sounds like a cranked Bassman.
Boss OD-3-similar to Nobles but with more gain, not quite as smooth, great all arounder.
Boss SD-1-Boss version of a TS.
Fender Pugilist-nice smooth sounding distortion.
All are either like new condition or very good, have the original boxes.
If anybody is interested in any of those PM me and we'll work something out.

Last edited:
Back