Dear Flame, where are you?

I miss him too. I've gotten a 3 or 4 likes from him over the years. I treasure those reactions.

I miss you also @DdBob. I hope things are going well.

Pretty warm regards in there own right,
Sak.

I miss him too. I've gotten a 3 or 4 likes from him over the years. I treasure those reactions.

I miss you also @DdBob. I hope things are going well.

Pretty warm regards in there own right,
Sak.
They must of went somewhere on vacation together. Can't wait to hear about it.

I’m temporarily alive.

Have had a (relatively) active summer with lots of cottage time.

Recently travelled with my firstborn who’s beginning her undergrad. It’s really weird now that I remember posting on HCGJ about the pregnancy. Not cool.

She’s missed. The dogchildren especially. Her siblings haven’t admitted it yet.

I’m temporarily alive.

Recently travelled with my firstborn who’s beginning her undergrad. It’s really weird now that I remember posting on HCGJ about the pregnancy. Not cool.

Did DdBob go with you?

I’m temporarily alive.

It's good that you're back because I have to ask a couple of very important questions.

What is Koa like? And, why don't I deserve Koa?

Unless you're one of the Ali'i Koa is taboo for you to own or use.
After looking it up on Wikipedia, this seems correct.
I always assumed he meant the wood was too fine for my skill level.
I also assumed that he felt he deserves koa.

And hey....I don't want this to get weird, but I was thinking about you yesterday.

*Okay, I meant for that to get weird. I may have to be a referee in AYSO. We can't get into the playoffs without enough ref points.

Last edited:
After looking it up on Wikipedia, this seems correct.
I always assumed he meant the wood was too fine for my skill level.
I also assumed that he felt he deserves koa.

And hey....I don't want this to get weird, but I was thinking about you yesterday.

*Okay, I meant for that to get weird. I may have to be a referee in AYSO. We can't get into the playoffs without enough ref points.
Funny - I first started refereeing because my eldest kid's team could get into tournaments easier if we provided a referee. That was more than 30 years ago and I've enjoyed it immensely. Right now I'm contemplating not renewing my USSF license because I can no longer guarantee I can do a good job due to visual issues connected to a neuro-muscular disease. Pretty much everybody is hurting for refs these days so I think if it agrees with you there will be plenty of opportunities to get games and move up the ladder. IIRC, AYSO doesn't pay refs, but you will get some good experience that will help if you decide to get a USSF or high school license. Let me know how it goes!

Funny - I first started refereeing because my eldest kid's team could get into tournaments easier if we provided a referee. That was more than 30 years ago and I've enjoyed it immensely. Right now I'm contemplating not renewing my USSF license because I can no longer guarantee I can do a good job due to visual issues connected to a neuro-muscular disease. Pretty much everybody is hurting for refs these days so I think if it agrees with you there will be plenty of opportunities to get games and move up the ladder. IIRC, AYSO doesn't pay refs, but you will get some good experience that will help if you decide to get a USSF or high school license. Let me know how it goes!
I'm taking an online class today. On Saturday, I have a 4 hour in person training session. After that, they give me a yellow referee shirt, and I'll be calling 10U games(ten and under for the layperson). I suppose I'll need a whistle too. Our coach was the only one scheduled to ref all of our required number of games. I'll do at least half of those.

I'm taking an online class today. On Saturday, I have a 4 hour in person training session. After that, they give me a yellow referee shirt, and I'll be calling 10U games(ten and under for the layperson). I suppose I'll need a whistle too. Our coach was the only one scheduled to ref all of our required number of games. I'll do at least half of those.
A whistle and a watch (preferably with a countdown timer or at least a stopwatch) is the minimum required. If you want to make a big investment - you can also get a pair of referee shorts and socks. Maybe a set of flags. Since you're in California - scoresports.com is a pretty inexpensive place to get decent ref gear. The "high-end" stuff is available from Officials Sports International at officialsports.com - They're the designated provider for USSF, NISOA, etc. You can also get stuff off Amazon but the quality is really variable. Of course local soccer shops probably have most of what you'd want or need, too and it's always nice to support local businesses.

At U10 you probably don't need to worry about yellow and red cards. If you have to fill out an online game report after, something to write teams, scores, etc. on is handy, too. They'll likely cover all that during the course and field session.

Have fun!

It's good that you're back because I have to ask a couple of very important questions.

What is Koa like? And, why don't I deserve Koa?
They're OK, some are better than others. You definitely deserve a KOA holiday!

KOA-Campground-aerial-view.jpg

Just really busy, things are a bit crazy right now.
I hear that. Hopefully you find some time to slow down. Good seeing you good buddy.

When things get busy in my life, I like to crank the H.R. Puff N' Stuff theme song.

Last edited:
Back