Boss Katana - Anyone Tried?

Woody_in_MN

Coptic Orthodox Deacon
Soooooooooooo...anyone tried any in this line? Specifically I am wondering if a Katana would give me more than I have in my Cube 40GX. The 40GX was one of the last cube models before Roland went...well...a different direction.

- w

Believe it or not people on TGP like it! Who would've thought that would ever happen!

Also, @atrox has one and loves it.

I got a 100 watt combo as soon as it came out. I love love love this amp. I barely ever touch my tube amp anymore. All of the channels are great... even better, someone recently discovered dozens of more amps and effects hidden in the amp.

It has a fantastic response to touch.

The 50 watt is great too!

:Wave: Woody!

I had the 50 and it was great; woulda kept it, but had to sell due to some family-related, uh, issues :annoyed:

Even better is the 100, as it has a more robust speaker, two more preset slots, and an effects loop.

These amps are great out of the box, but as @GilmourD said, there is a HUGE thread at TGP, where there are some discussions about the optional software editor, which has buried in it another 22 or so amp voicings you can load.

Now, whether you would like it more than the 40GX? Well, I had that one, too that I traded in on the Katana. Nothing wrong with the Cube, but the Katana has more available options IMO.

These amps are great out of the box, but as @GilmourD said, there is a HUGE thread at TGP, where there are some discussions about the optional software editor, which has buried in it another 22 or so amp voicings you can load.

Seriously? How did Boss forget to mention that in the marketing? That’s sweet.

Seriously? How did Boss forget to mention that in the marketing? That’s sweet.

I don't think that was their intention. This "Easter egg" was cracked when some of the software experts at TGP/vGuitar were trying to crack the MIDI code, and they stumbled on the bonus models in the firmware.

I don't think that was their intention. This "Easter egg" was cracked when some of the software experts at TGP/vGuitar were trying to crack the MIDI code, and they stumbled on the bonus models in the firmware.

Yup. I downloaded the sneaky amps stuff but only got to mess with the baseman model. Sooooooo good. Tons of clean goodness!!!

The last time I was in GC I wanted to try one, but there was some kid blasting away on the amps right next to the Katanas. I looked around a bit, kid still there, went into the acoustic room for awhile, came back out, kid still there... :mad: And it wasn't like he was buying anything. I think his mom just dropped him off while she went shopping or something.

So I haven't tried them yet.

More user presets for live mostly. Plus more is more. And you don't want the power amp to breakup if you gig with it.

That amp sounds great! I wasn't expecting it to be that good. That's the 100 watt combo?
Just how much are you boosting the amp in that vid? Is the amp capable of that gain level without the boost?

That amp sounds great! I wasn't expecting it to be that good. That's the 100 watt combo?
Just how much are you boosting the amp in that vid? Is the amp capable of that gain level without the boost?

Yeah. Sounds great right?!? just to be clear, the boost is from the amp itself. The boost is not very high it's pretty subtle actually. Just enough tighten the low-end. I'm sure the amp can do this much gain without the boost.
Yes. It's the 100 watt combo.

Also, I don't spend a lot of time dialing in my tone because I suck at it. So that was just a few min out of the box.

Last edited:
I'm impressed by that demo...plus the price is right on that amp, isn't it? Sounded like any good Marshall type tone I've heard.

This is me:
derp.jpg

I've got a question about the head.

The speaker output says '8 ohms MIN'. Does that mean it will work with 4 & 8 ohm cabinets, or 8 & 16 ohm cabinets?

Back