Are you Apple, Windows, Linux?

jrockbridge

Stealing Your Riffs
I happen to use all three. I like the fact that you can find a version of Linux OS to fit any machine for free. I like the affordability, versatility and power (gaming) of Windows PC's and laptop computers. I like the way Apple integrates software and hardware.

I've bought tons more Windows laptops and PC's than anything else. When they age out, and cannot run the latest version of Windows worth a snot, I put a version of Linux on them.

My Apple purchases have mainly been iPhones and iPads. In 2020, I bought an M1 Mac Mini for our Sony 75" TV to replace an old Dell, Windows PC, mini tower that we used for years with our big screen in the living room. I think I paid close to $800 for the Mac Mini at the time with a 250 GB internal SSD, a bit pricey for the specs, but it fits and matches that Sony TV well. I recall at the time, it was hundreds more to get a Mac Mini with double the SSD drive space. We finally started to need more room because of video files. Fortunately SSD drives are cheaper now.

I just bought a tiny SSK, 1TB external SSD, portable drive, mainly for use with the Mac, for $75. I formatted it exFAT so that I can use it with Apple, Windows and Linux. Ironically, I'm also using a 500GB HDD from an old Windows Vista laptop formatted APFS for backing up the main drive on the Mac.

Tell me one of your computer stories. Feel free to hate on Apple, Windows or Linux. Just because I love them doesn't mean you have to be ok with it.

Apple for my computer. I want a solid UNIX operating system without constant updates and advertising. As for Windows, I have not had a positive experience with Windows since Windows 2000. I hate that fucking company, Microsoft has been the bane of my existence my entire adult life, and if Russia nuked Redmond tomorrow I’d send Putin a thank you card. They can shove Office right up their fucking asses, too.

For my phone I use Android. I appreciate Android’s spam message blocking, spam call warning, and that it automatically generates short text messages for me so I don’t have to write replies to text messages.

I do have an iPad but all I use it for is running yoga videos on YouTube so I don’t have to worry about a dog licking my laptop. I have some ebooks I need to read on it but I’ve been putting that off for over a year so it will never happen. If I ever buy another tablet I’ll get a Google Pixel because I don’t need it for anything that only runs on iOS.

Desktop Linux is cute but none of the professional software I use runs on it, so that’s a huge problem. I also hate dealing with open source dependency hell. I have better shit to do than wait half an hour to download and install 750 megabytes of software so I can run some little piece of software that doesn’t work right half the time.

Mostly all versions of Windows servers and Win 10 workstations at work… Mostly Apple at Home.

I think my job has kind of broken me… I have a difficult time picturing computers as anything but utilitarian devices. I don’t play games so it’s difficult for me to ever be excited about any new computers. It would be like “check out my new waffle iron!” :messedup:

MacBook Pros for DJ stuff.

Cheap ass android phones for everything else. No hot tub just now :frown: but I'd frequently drop phones (record was 3 hours from out of the box to bottom of the tub!) in the old place so spending anything over £100 was stupid.

Linux for appliance type stuff (phone system, NAS). Windows for my server and desktops. I'm curious about your comment about not being able to run windows on older hardware. I am running Windows 10 on a couple of old Lenovo T420 laptops with 8Gb of RAM. These laptops are over 10 years old, and Windows 10 runs great (I did put SSDs in them). And from what I understand, Windows 11 runs on them just about as well as 10 (although not supported by Microsoft).

I have an 8 year old T450 with Windows 11. Runs just fine.

I'm a unix guy from WAY on back (1985 or so). I loved linux when it first came out, but it long ago become too fiddly. Every distribution has to be its own unique snowflake. Just trying to figure out how to set an IP address can be a real challenge.

Linux for appliance type stuff (phone system, NAS). Windows for my server and desktops. I'm curious about your comment about not being able to run windows on older hardware. I am running Windows 10 on a couple of old Lenovo T420 laptops with 8Gb of RAM. These laptops are over 10 years old, and Windows 10 runs great (I did put SSDs in them). And from what I understand, Windows 11 runs on them just about as well as 10 (although not supported by Microsoft).

I have an 8 year old T450 with Windows 11. Runs just fine.

I'm a unix guy from WAY on back (1985 or so). I loved linux when it first came out, but it long ago become too fiddly. Every distribution has to be its own unique snowflake. Just trying to figure out how to set an IP address can be a real challenge.
When PC’s age out, and cannot run the latest version of Windows worth a snot, that means I’m unhappy with the performance. So, I upgrade to a new PC, or buy parts to rebuild them into a better performing computer.

I typically load Linux on the old machines and repurpose them for something. For example, one of my older laptops is used as a video file player for my projection setup downstairs. Another PC is hooked to a stereo system to play music files.

We're a Windows shop at work, so my primary laptop is a Windows machine. We have not yet upgraded to Win11, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

I have an old personal laptop at home that is not beefy enough to run Win11, according to Microsoft. It runs Win10 fine, but MS is going to stop supporting Win10 next year on old machines like that. It's now running Linux and I'll keep using it until it dies. F MS in their stupid meathead face.

We're a Windows shop at work, so my primary laptop is a Windows machine. We have not yet upgraded to Win11, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

I have an old personal laptop at home that is not beefy enough to run Win11, according to Microsoft. It runs Win10 fine, but MS is going to stop supporting Win10 next year on old machines like that. It's now running Linux and I'll keep using it until it dies. F MS in their stupid meathead face.
It's easy to install windows 11 on older hardware. Google for instructions. Gives the same performance, and if you were licensed for 10, 11 will pick up a license. I'm running 11 on a Lenovo T450 and T470, both of which MS says isn't modern enough.

Windows at work, iPhone and iMac at home

On a related note, my 10-year-old iMac finally seems to have given up the ghost. Sudden blue screen and even Recovery Mode doesn’t work anymore. Think my main harddrive is f-cked :cry:

Think I will be going the Macbook route

I have two elderly Linux boxes and a couple of android phones. One of the boxes has a windows drive but I have not used it in over a year. Upgrades for the Linux boxes soon.

I use whatever at work and dont really care one way or the other so long as I get paid.
At home my gaming rig is windows 11 out of convenience.

I’ve always used Apple for my personal stuff, going back to a Performa desktop back in the 90s.
Less virus issues, easy intergration between devices, and just less hassle all around.
At work it was always Windows machines.
I did have one stint with a Dell laptop back in the 00s, but I returned to the Mac as soon as it wore out.

I’ve always used Apple for my personal stuff, going back to a Performa desktop back in the 90s.
Less virus issues, easy intergration between devices, and just less hassle all around.
At work it was always Windows machines.
I did have one stint with a Dell laptop back in the 00s, but I returned to the Mac as soon as it wore out.
I was big on Macs back in the 90s. They were light years ahead of MS in terms of integrating an OS. But to do so, they put very stringent requirements on software developers and completely controlled the hardware side. That made sense back then, but they lost me around WindowsXP/2000 era. The premium Apple charged were no longer worth it starting around then, IMO.

More and more, I'm drawn to the open source/Linux platform. I'm no stranger to Unix and it just makes sense to me. The UI can be a bit funky, depending on the app, but it's usually not hard to figure out. :shrug:

Back